I have been waiting to root to the latest Sony Xperia Z firmware Kitkat but I found procedure is quite complicated.
Well, I found another way to root KitKat using TowelRoot App, but it only works for firmware before 3-Jun-2014.
I compile this guide so that owner of Sony Xperia Z can enjoy too.
1. Latest Sony Xperia Stock FTF KitKat version 10.5.1.A.0.283 or update using Sony PC Companion
2. Latest Stock Kernel FTF version 10.5.1.A.0.283 and previous version 10.5.A.0.230.
Note: If you don’t have Stock kernel FTF previous version 10.5.A.0.230, check and download from XDA
3. Download Android Rooting App TowelRoot v3 (Internet Connection required during rooting) and copy tr.apk to External SDCard
4. Download FlashTool and Install FlashTool + FlashTool-Driver
- Google has blocked write anywhere access in SD Card on Android 4.4 KitKat firmware. Follow on articles to fix SD Card Write access:
- Android – Create Stock FTF with Official Sony Xperia Firmware Updates
- Android – Create Stock Kernel FTF with Official Sony Xperia Firmware Updates
- Android – Flashing FTF for Sony Xperia using FlashTool
1. Backup your Xperia Z data first
2. Update your Xperia Z firmware to latest KitKat version 10.5.1.A.0.283 by flashing FTF
or updates via Sony PC Companion
3. Restart your phone and let your Xperia perform initial configuration for KitKat version 10.5.1.A.0.283
4. Turn Off your phone and unplug USB cable to computer but leave USB cable plug in to your phone
5. Flash Stock Kernel FTF using FlashTool
6. Click on icon Black Thunder
I do not have previous version so I download Stock Kernel FTF previous version from XDA.
The previous version is used for rooting and will be reflashed again with latest Stock Kernel FTF
7. Plug in USB cable to computer and at the same time, press Xperia Volume Down to enter flash mode
and to start flashing
8. Unplug USB cable from computer and restart your Xperia
9. Navigate to Settings -> Personal -> Security -> Device Administration -> Unknown sources,
Enable Unknown sources to install TowelRoot app tr.apk
10. Open File Manager, navigate to External SDCard and install TowelRoot App
11. Connect Internet using Mobile data network or WIFI
12. Run TowerRoot App and click make it ra1n button
13. Once rooted, install Superuser app from Google Play
14. Turn Off your phone.
15. Run FlashTool to flash latest Stock Kernel FTF version 10.5.1.A.0.283
Note: Check my Android Page to download my Stock Kernel FTF created by me.
16. Restart your Xperia
17. Remove TowelRoot App and turn off Unknown Sources to secure your phone