Over time, Windows Updates files are superseded with latest updates and the previous superseded updates remained and it takes storage space.
When the updates are stable, the superseded updates is no longer needed and we can free up the space. The Windows updates are stored in “C:\Windows\WinSxS”.
- Download and Install KB2852386: Disk Cleanup Wizard addon lets users delete outdated Windows updates on Windows 7 SP1
Windows Updates CleanUp Steps:
1. Logon Windows with Administrator account
- Run Disk Cleanup (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools)
- If UAC is turned ON, you need to click on “Clean up system files” button
- For this case, unchecked all “Files to delete” checkbox except “Windows Updates Cleanup”
and click ‘OK’ to start
- Click ‘Delete Files’ to start cleanup
- Reboot your system
Windows will start Configuring Windows Updates and it will automatically reboot again.
Lastly, Windows will start Cleaning up process and once done, it will show logon screen.
- Breaking News! Reduce the size of the WinSxS Directory and Free up Disk Space with a New Update for Windows 7 SP1 Clients